Text messaging has become such an integral part of our daily lives. Flowroute outlines some of the potential use cases for SMS here. In this tutorial, we will outline the steps of configuring Flowroute with Microsoft Flow in order to start receiving SMS and MMS on your Microsoft 365 email. Microsoft Flow is a service for creating automated workflows between your favorite apps — Microsoft 365 in this case — and services (i.e., the Flowroute Messaging API) in order to get notifications, synchronize files, collect data, and more.
- An activated Flowroute account with at least one long code or toll-free number provisioned for SMS and/or MMS
- A Microsoft 365 email account
- Sign up for Microsoft Flow
- Create your flow for Flowroute
- Click Create from blank
- Click Search hundreds of connectors and triggers
- Specify your connector and trigger
- Search for "request" and select the Request — When a HTTP request is received trigger
- Click Use sample payload to generate schema
- Paste a sample JSON payload from Flowroute
- Connect your Flowroute JSON trigger with your Microsoft 365 email
- Name and save your flow
- Update your Flowroute API preferences
Once you're signed in at Microsoft Flow, select My Flows on the upper left corner of the screen.
2. Click Search hundreds of connectors and triggers on the bottom corner of the New Flow creation page.
c. Copy and paste the sample JSON payload from Receive Inbound SMS and click Done.
a. Click New Step > Add an action to enable sending of an email when you receive an inbound message on your Flowroute account.
Configure the To, Subject, and Body fields to work with your specific use case. The Dynamic Content browser on the right side of the Send an email page will allow you to select the dynamic content from the JSON request that Flowroute will be sending to your Microsoft 365 email.
The following screens show you an example configuration for the Flowrote inbound SMS to Microsoft 365 email setup.
The following screen shows you an example configuration for the Flowroute inbound MMS to Microsoft 365 email setup.
- Enclose the url JSON attribute in the email Body field in an HTML img tag if you want to embed the media attachment from the MMS message into the resulting email notification.
- Select "Yes" from the Is HTML drop-down list to send the email in HTML format.
- Similarly, make note of the HTTP POST URL for the corresponding Flowroute Manage portal update.
Go to Preferences > API Control tab of the Flowroute Manage portal.
- For your inbound SMS Microsoft flow, replace the SMS Callback field with the HTTP POST URL that you have previously copied.
- If you're configuring an inbound MMS Microsoft flow, replace the MMS Callback field with the HTTP POST URL.
With the Flowroute API and Microsoft 365 connection properly established, you should start receiving details of your inbound SMS or MMS on your Microsoft 365 email.